Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Greatest...



Growing up in the Bay Area, I had the privilege of being 10 years old when Rickey Henderson was a Rookie with the A's. His first years with the A's were my first real years as a baseball fan. I sat in the Left Field bleachers at more A's games between the age of 10 and 14 than I have in all the years since. Many kids around these parts that were around my age idolized Rickey, and I was no exception. I had every Rickey Henderson baseball card. I think I still do. My batting stance as a 12 year old was a mix between Rickey Henderson and Rod Carew. I once to tried to snap my glove after a catch just as Rickey did back in the day and completely missed the ball only to have it bounce off my face. Perhaps the greatest story I have of Rickey was just a couple of years ago as I was at a playoff game when the A's were playing the Red Sox at the coliseum. I got up to go to the jam packed restroom between innings and Rickey was in line. After a few minutes, Rickey was at the big white bath-tub looking urinal and it started. One guy yells out "RICKEY'S IN THE HOUSE!..." Then it REALLY started... The whole restroom (about 100 of our closest friends) start chanting. RICK-EEE! RICK-EEE! RICK-EEE!... Hilarious. What I can't believe is he was actually able to pee under all that pressure. Now THAT's a true Hall of Famer.


I hope he goes into the Hall wearing Green and Gold... With white cleats.

Our very own Daniel Gates in action

Canes Playlist